Trace mineral necessary for the normal function of the thyroid gland, which in turn is responsible for a number of metabolic procedures in our body. Iodine can be found in fortified table salts, as well as in natural sources such as sea food, dairy products, potatoes and bread.
Who is in greater risk for iodine deficiency?
• Pregnant women
• Individuals not consuming iodine fortified salt
The role of iodine:
• Iodine production
• Proper function of the thyroid gland
• Supports immune function
• Proper neurological function
Iodine deficiency may result in:
• Impaired growth in children
• Complications during pregnancy
• Neurological disorders
• Reduced ability to concentrate