Trace mineral abundant s variety of food sources such as dairy products, eggs and sea food.
Who is in greater risk for phosphorus deficiency?
• Individuals with hyperparathyroidism
• Individuals with kidney insufficiency
• Heavy drinkers
• Individuals with malabsorptive disorders (inflammatory bowel diseases)
The role of phosphorus:
• Energy production
• Carbohydrate, protein and lipid metabolism
• Supports bone and teeth health
• Provides structure to cell membranes
Phosphorus deficiency may result in:
• Muscle weakness
• Bone decalcification (loss of calcium from the bones)
• Brittle bones