Water soluble vitamin, also known as ascorbic acid, it is abundant in plant based products such as citrus fruits, peppers, broccoli, strawberries, tomatoes and potatoes.
Who is in greater risk for vitamin E deficiency?
• Individuals with diet poor in fruits and vegetables
• Individuals with malabsorption due to chronic conditions
Water soluble vitamins are not stored in our body and any excess is excreted in the urine.
The role of vitamin C:
• Antioxidant function
• Support of body’s immune function
• Enhancement of iron absorption
• Production of energy
• Collagen synthesis, skin, bone and cartilage health
• Formation of connective tissue and wound healing
• Normal psychological function
Vitamin C deficiency may result in:
• Pale skin and feeling of tiredness
• Iron deficiency anemia
• Vulnerable immune function
• Bleeding gums & impaired wound healing
• Mood disorders