Bored of eating the same toasted bread and cheese for breakfast every day? Then maybe it’s time to try something new!
The following quantity gives 5-6 servings:
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1,5 cups fruits of your choice cut into small pieces
- ¾ cup almonds or other nuts of your choice
- ¼ cup basil (fresh or dry)
- ¼ cup mint
- 3 tablespoons lemon or orange juice
- Zest of one orange
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Boil the gruel at about 1.5 cup of water.
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and your breakfast is ready!
- You can save the oatmeal in a bowl in the refrigerator and keep for about 3 days. In that way you will have a nutritious breakfast for several days!
- For a complete breakfast and an extra dose of calcium add 2 tablespoons yogurt in your bowl.
- Oatmeal among all cereals, is the richest in fiber keeping you full for longer. Moreover clinical studies have shown that it helps manage cholesterol, blood sugar and weight.
- Fruits are rich in vitamins A, C and many antioxidants that protect your body from free radicals.
- Nuts are a good source of heart healthy Omega 3 essential fatty acids.
This recipe was adapted from the site: Spring Fruit & Nut Tabouli